Protein Evolution BioMOO Conference by W. Pearson

Francisco M. De La Vega fvega at lambda.gene.cinvestav.mx
Thu Nov 23 19:10:18 EST 1995

The Virtual School of Natural Sciences Invites to the BioMOO Conference:

       "Protein Evolution - How far back can we see?"
        Dr. William R. Pearson
        Dept. of Biochemistry
        University of Virginia.

The discussion is to be held electronically, in the Biocomputing
Classroom at BioMOO (*), on December 5, 1995, 14:00 h GMT.

An admission ticket will be required as explained below. The discussion
will be recorded, and a transcript will be made available on the WWW and
announced via Bionet.

Dr. Pearson will describe recent improvements in the FASTA package of
sequence comparison programs and then discuss some strategies for
exploring very distant evolutionary relationships.

Participants are encouraged to ask questions to Dr. Pearson about all
aspects of protein sequence comparison and database searching in
general.

It is necessary that we know how many people will attend the event.
Hence, we would like you to subscribe to a mailing list and
participate in a 30-minute "Introduction to Electronic Conferencing"
tutorial. We will announce the time and date of the 30-minute MOO
Practice Session to the mailing list on Nov. 28; every participant who
does not receive a personal invitation will receive an entry ticket
during the Practice Session. Last-minute entry on December 5 will
unfortunately not be possible.

You can subscribe to the mailing list by sending a message to
majordomo at hrz.uni-bielefeld.de, with no subject, and the following
message body: subscribe vsns-bcd-events
(You will be sent instructions about how you can unsubscribe
after December 5, 1995 or at any other time).

Host: Francisco M. De La Vega, Dept. of Genetics and Molecular
Biology, CINVESTAV-IPN, Mexico City. (fvega at gene.cinvestav.mx)

(*) BioMOO is a virtual meeting place for biologists, connected to the
    Globewide Network Academy. The main physical part of the BioMOO is
    located at the BioInformatics Unit of the Weizmann Institute of Science,
    Israel. For further information about BioMOO, please point your
    WWW-Browser (Netscape,Mosaic,lynx,etc) to
    http://bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il/BioMOO/

For further information about the VSNS BioComputing Division,
please point your WWW-Browser (Netscape,Mosaic,lynx,etc) to
http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/bcd/welcome.html   or
http://merlin.mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu:8001/bcdusa/welcome.html   or
http://info.mcc.ac.uk/hpctec/courses/Biocomputing/vsns/bcd/welcome.html

	Francisco M. De La Vega			NEW	Fax:(525)747-7100
	Assistant Professor			NEW	Tel:(525)747-7000
	Dept. of Genetics and Molecular Biology			ext. 5355
	CINVESTAV-IPN, A.P. 14-740,			E-Mail:
	Mexico D.F. 07000, Mexico			fvega at gene.cinvestav.mx
        URL:http://www.gene.cinvestav.mx/fmv.html