Calculate the inverse of a matrix 19*19

Ron Meleshko Ron.Meleshko at UAlberta.CA
Thu Nov 30 15:42:02 EST 1995

Santi Garcia Vallve (vallve at argo.urv.es) wrote:
: I am trying to make my own programs with fortran77 to predict protein
: folding types by distances functions that make allowances for amino acid
: interactions (Chou and Zhang, 1994 JBC). I need to calculate the inverse
: of a matrix 19*19 (19 rows and 19 columns), how can I make it? It is
: possible to do it with fortran?
: I think some calculators are able to do it, how does they do it?
: I tried also to do it using Microsoft Excel 5.0 for mac, but I only
: obtain the first element (first number of the first row and column).
: Any suggestion?......
: Thank you

: Santi Garcia Vallve
: Biochemistry Dept.
: URV  Catalonia  Spain
: email:vallve at quimica.urv.es

The easiest way is to probably obtain source from either
the LINPACK or LAPACK linear algebra subroutine libraries.
If you doing this on one of the major Unix workstations, there
is a good probability that one of these libraries is available
as an installable software option from the vendor.  Otherwise,
your best bet is to obtain it electronically from "netlib".
Off the top of my head, I can't remember the server's email
address, but netlib was written up about 5 years ago in
the Communications of the ACM.  I believe that they are
currently based at either Univ of Kentucky or OakRidge Labs.

Good luck.

Ron Meleshko
Department of Biochemistry
University of Alberta

P.S.  You should try and avoid writing your own code for this.
The code from netlib is extensively tested and robust.  It is
also free.