biology statistics

Chris Drake cdrake at
Mon Oct 2 15:29:41 EST 1995

Forgive me a silly question, but it seemed by the title that someone here
might have the answer to this one.  I am an archaeologist and have been
working on some statistical questions about human remains and I was
wondering if there is a fundamental reason why seemingly all physical data
are normally distributed.  It seems that all biological measurements are
normally distributed data: height, weight etc.  I would appreciate it if
anyone could e-mail me or reply here with the answer.  Thanks.

Chris Drake                    /
Tulane University              /
Department of Anthropology     /
New Orleans, LA 70118          /    "For he who eateth no tortillas,
                               /  he then fainteth; he falleth down;
504-895-7101                   /  he droppeth quickly; there is a
                               /  twittering as of birds in his ears;
cdrake at /   darkness descendeth upon him."
                               /                --  Aztec Wisdom
PGP Key Available              /
Microsoft Network is prohibited from redistributing this work in any
form, in whole or in part. Copyright (c) 1995 Chris Drake