Genetic Linkage

Tandy Warnow tandy at central.cis.upenn.edu
Tue Sep 5 16:55:54 EST 1995

	        Time:          2 p.m. Monday, Sept. 11th
		Place:	       Austrian Theater (Clinical Research Building)
                               University of Pennsylvania
                               Philadelphia PA

		     FASTER GENETIC LINKAGE COMPUTATIONS

                            Dr Alejandro Schaffer,

                National Center for Human Genome Research (NIH)

                                    and

                       Department of Computer Science,
                               Rice University

Genetic linkage analysis is a statistical technique used to map genes and
find the approximate location of disease-causing genes. For the past
three years, we have been working to improve the performance of the most
popular general-purpose linkage analysis software package, called
LINKAGE. Our new package, called FASTLINK, is now in use around the world
on uniprocessors. We have also made parallel implementations of three of
the main programs in FASTLINK that run either on networks of
uniprocessors or on shared-memory multiprocessors.