MOLGEN

Friedrich Ackermann friedric at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Apr 1 23:22:22 EST 1996

Dear Netters,

I am putting together a list of topics I want to present
in a seminary called "`Informatik in der Molekularbiologie"'
(german translation of "`Molecular Bioinformatics"' or
"`Computing for Molecular Biology"').
Among the topics I have found to be interesting there is
a program called MOLGEN by M. Stefik (see for example
Stefik, M., Planning with Constraints (MOLGEN: Part 1),
Artificial Intelligence 1981(16), 111-140 or the dicussion in
Schulze-Kremer, S., Molecular Bioinformatics, Berlin 1996).
Since I am working on the protein docking problem I am not an
expert neither for Artificial Intelligence nor for cloning experiments
(the application domain of MOLGEN).

Therefore I would appreciate any answers on the following questions:

1.	Is MOLGEN still in use? Can it be downloaded? Ist it
	supported by an institution or do commercial versions exist?
	What are the current versions? How do they differ from the
	originally described ones?

2.	Do any successors of MOLGEN or other programs with a
	similar application goal exist? (Remark: MOLGEN's goal is
	to develop automatically plans for producing genetically
	modified bacteriums using methods from Artifical Intelligence.)
	Where can they be found? Which references should be read?

Beside this any hints about lists of topics or curriculae for molecular
bioinformatics are appreciated.

Best regards,
Friedrich Ackermann

Friedrich Ackermann