Graduate Research Associate position in theoretical biology@lanl.gov

Emanuel Knill knill at Lanl.GOV
Thu Apr 11 00:22:32 EST 1996

The Theoretical Biology Group (T10) at Los Alamos National
Laboratory invites applications for a Graduate Research Assistantship.

This opening is for someone who will contribute to our ongoing theoretical
research in support of the human genome project. The specific project
involves developing methods for analyzing long sequences of DNA.
One aspect of this includes algorithm development for inducing a Hidden
Markov Model of DNA.  The project can be expected to
include research into new algorithms as well as software implementation
of algorithms we have developed. It is hoped that this
work will be suitable for a thesis or scientific publication.

The most qualified students will have the following skills:

competence in C++ programming (non-negotiable)
interest in "real" applications of theory, in particular, to DNA sequences
some knowledge of probability and/or statistics
interest in AI /machine learning
willingness to read the current relevant literature

The Theoretical Biology Group (T10)

T10 has a long history of research excellence in
theoretical biophysics and mathematical biology. T10 collaborates
closely with the Center for Human Genome Studies at Los Alamos
National Laboratory. To contribute to the mapping of the human
genome we have developed novel techniques for constructing
maps of clones.
T10 houses several nationally recognized sequence
databases databases including HIV.
Ongoing theoretical research
also includes HIV pathogenesis; protein and DNA dynamics; signaling kinetics;
immune response and cellular dynamics.

Los Alamos National Laboratory

The Los Alamos National Laboratory, operated by the University of California
for the U.S.  Department of Energy, is a multiprogram national laboratory,
operated by the University of California.  In accordance with the Laboratory
mission, "Science Serving Society", the scope of research has expanded from
the original charge of designing nuclear weapons to include a wide spectrum
of programs including biomedicine, computational science, science education,
environmental protection and materials science.  In staff and technical
capability, Los Alamos is one of the largest multidisciplinary laboratories
in the world with world-class theoretical and applied researchers.  The
Laboratory offers a research atmosphere designed to foster innovative
interdisciplinary collaborations.

The Laboratory has consistently led the world in the area of high performance
computing.  Los Alamos provides an excellent computing environment including
leading technologies from Thinking Machines Corporation; Cray Research, Inc.;
IBM;, Motorola; Silicon Graphics, Inc.; and Sun Microsystems to name a few.
Los Alamos is one of 2 DOE High Performance Computing Research Centers.
The Laboratory's Integrated Computing Network, used by approximately 9,000
people distributed throughout the nation, constitutes one of
the most powerful scientific computing facilities in the world.

Graduate Research Assistantships

Applications for Graduate Research Assistantships are accepted on
a year-round basis.

Eligibility requires that you

	* are currently enrolled or anticipating
	  acceptance in an accredited graduate program
	  within the next 12 months.

	* OR have received your degree (BS, BA, MS, MA, PhD)
	  within the last 12 months.  In this case, a Graduate
	  Research Assistantship at Los Alamos is an excellent
	  opportunity for recent graduates to gain applied
	  research experience before moving on to further
	  graduate work or industry.

Traditional positions are full-time, 90-day summer appointments, but
longer-term appointments, starting at any time and extending
throughout the year, are also available.  Part-time status is an option for
those with appointments of at least one year in length.

Salaries are based on education and relevant experience.  They currently
range from approx. $11 to approx. $17 /hr.  Benefits depend on appointment
length.  Participants residing outside a fifty-mile radius of Los Alamos
are reimbursed for one round-trip from point-of-hire each calendar
year.  They are also reimbursed for the shipment of up to 100 pounds of
personal belongings.

Eligibility is limited to applicants with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5
who have completed a bachelor's degree by date-of-hire and who intend to
continue with graduate studies.  To remain in the program longer than one
year, students must furnish proof of progress toward a graduate degree.
Non-U.S.  citizens are eligible to apply.

The Community

Los Alamos is a small alpine community in the mountains of Northern New Mexico,
an area of diverse cultures and great scenic beauty.  Year-round outdoor
activities include skiing, hiking, mountain biking, and white water rafting.

Los Alamos is approximately 40 minutes from Santa Fe and 90 minutes from
Taos.  Santa Fe and the surrounding area comprise the 2nd largest art market
in the United States.  Santa Fe is home to a number of cultural events such
as the internationally acclaimed Santa Fe Opera.

How to Apply

Send e-mail indicating your interest to: cam at t10.lanl.gov
Please include:
    * A paragraph about your current research interests (250 words maximum).
    * Your curriculum vitae
    * Names, addresses, and phone numbers for at least three references
Please submit ASCII versions of the above, we will not be
able to process any other formats at this time.

We will screen all applications before we ask for official
laboratory applications or letters of reference.

We are ready to hire now and will do so as we find suitable candidates.
Therefore, to receive full consideration, let us know of your interest
as soon as possible.  However, we consider applications on an on-going basis.

Los Alamos National Laboratory is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.