[Scott Schmidler <schmidler@camis.stanford.edu>: Re: Computational

BIOSCI Administrator biosci-help at net.bio.net
Tue Jul 9 20:32:06 EST 1996

To: bionet-biology-computational at uunet.uu.net
From: Scott Schmidler <schmidler at camis.stanford.edu>
Newsgroups: bionet.biology.computational
Subject: Re: Computational Biology Graduate Programs
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 13:02:59 -0700

Nasser Abbasi wrote:

> Fyi: I think this course will be offered again next spring at Stanford.
>                              STANFORD UNIVERSITY
>                          Department of Mathematics
>  Math/Biol 227. Mathematical and Computational Molecular Biology

This is Volker Brendel's class offered within the Stanford Math Dept.
There are several other related courses offered at Stanford, including:

Medical Information Sciences 212
Algorithms and Representations for Molecular Biology
http://camis.Stanford.EDU/projects/helix/mis214/
Russ Altman's course (with John Koza) targeted more towards computer
scientists

Biochemistry 212
Computer Applications in Molecular Biology
http://cmgm.stanford.edu/biochem218/
Doug Brutlag's course targeted more towards biologists.

Both courses are taught yearly in the Spring, while I believe Volker's
is taught in the Winter quarter.  Recently Jun Liu in the Stanford
Statistics Dept offered a course on statistical problems in
computational biology as well.

Scott

Scott C. Schmidler
Section on Medical Informatics