Growing and shrinking algorithm

Chris Pudney cpudney at cs.uwa.edu.au
Thu May 23 00:29:29 EST 1996

G'day,

In <1996May21.143324.38315 at ucl.ac.uk> bob at bsm.bioc.ucl.ac.uk (Bob MacCallum) writes:

>Hello,

>I've been using an incremental growing and shrinking algorithm (within
>GRASP if you must know) in order to smooth out a jagged and discontinuous
>surface patch.  It's all pretty common sense really: you just grow your
>patch by 1 angstrom 5 times, and then shrink it 5 times by 1 angstrom and
>hey presto it works.

>My major problem is finding a reference to this concept.  Can you help?

In mathematical morphology this operation, "dilation" followed by
"erosion", is known as "closing", and the reverse is called "opening".
These processes are often employed in image processing.  I guess any book
on mathematical morphology could provide a reference.  Sorry I can't be
more specific.

Regards,
Chris Pudney                    Biomedical Confocal Microscopy Research Centre
cpudney at alphapharm.pharm.uwa.edu.au                 Department of Pharmacology
http://www.cs.uwa.edu.au/~chrisp           The University of Western Australia
PH: (+61 9) 346 4571 FAX: (+61 9) 346 3469        Nedlands, WA 6907, AUSTRALIA