Solaris 2.x on a Pentium?

Marcus Dormanns marcus at lfbs.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Apr 19 12:17:21 EST 1997

Albert Gold wrote:

> I know that SUN apparently makes an OS which clearly will run
> upon Pentium machines, called X86, but that system is
> NOT Solaris.
>
> I know from taking these newsgroups seriously that SunOS was originally
> based upon BSD, but apparently 'Solaris' departed from this initiative
> and moved to incorporate several DEC Fortran extensions, which GCG
> relies upon.  Solaris 2.3 and 2.4 are supportable GCG Operating Systems.
>
> Has anybody tried running Solaris on a Pentium machine?  Does it work?

We run Solaris on Pentium and PentiumPro (multiprocessor) machines.
Precisely, we run Solaris 2.5.1. Our impression is that it runs as good
as Solaris on Sun Sparc machines (to that it is identical regarding
it's apprearence to the user).
As far as I know, Sun indicates all it's software that runs on Intel
machines as 'x86' software. So, Solaris x86 is nothing else than the
version of Sun's solaris for intel machines.

Marcus Dormanns.
|  _      :  Marcus Dormanns, Chair for Operating Systems
|_|_`__   :  RWTH Aachen, Kopernikusstr. 16, D-52056 Aachen, Germany
    |__)  :  E-Mail : marcus at lfbs.rwth-aachen.de