Graduate Studies in Bioinformatics

Robert Maxwell Robinson max at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 28 14:47:42 EST 1997

"LU ZEN HUAT" <luzc at pl.jaring.my> writes:
>Can somebody please tell me where is the best place (on the Internet,
>perhaps) for me to search for information on Graduate Studies in
>Bioinformatics, especially those related to PhD studentship. I had
>graduated at the end of last year with a Msc (Food Biotechnology). I am
>thinking of doing my PhD in Bioinformatics but I am not quite sure which
>universities have a PhD program in this field.

Information about the Ph.D. program in Molecular Biotechnology at the
University of Washington can be found on the Internet at the following URL:

http://weber.u.washington.edu/~mbt/

Alternatively, you can find more information by e-mail from Anne Lomer in
our department at

alomer at u.washington.edu

While this program is not specifically a bioinformatics program, I am a
graduate student in this program and am here primarily for bioinformatics,
and several of the other students here also have a strong interest in
bioinformatics.  The program is intended to be interdisciplinary, and in my
opinion it makes a successful attempt to bridge the gap between biological
questions and the computational support needed to answer them.

The University of Washington is an exceptional place to study computational
molecular biology, due primarily to the presence of the following people and
organizations:

The National Science Foundation Science and Technology Center for Molecular
   Biotechnology
A genome center, run by Maynard Olson, that is doing large-scale sequencing
    of human DNA (as well as DNA from model organisms)
Dr. Maynard Olson himself, who's lab does work on large-scale mapping and
    related issues
Dr. Phil Green, who works on sequence determination, assembly, and analysis,
    and also on physical and genetic mapping
Dr. Tim Hunkapiller, who works on sequence determination and analysis,
    parallel approaches to data mining, and integration of biological
    information
Dr. Richard Karp, who is a world expert on combinatorics
Dr. Leroy Hood, who is involved in several large-scale molecular biology
    projects of several types, including sequencing and expression analysis
Dr. Joe Felsenstein, who is a world expert on population genetics and
    phylogenetic analysis
Dr. Elizabeth Thompson, who is interested in statistical genetics
Drs. Steven and Jorja Henikoff (at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center,
    nearby), who have a continuing interest in protein sequence comparison
    and homology detection
Dr. John Yates, who has an interest in the automated interpretation of mass
    spectra
Dr. Deborah Nickerson, who is interested in DNA sequence variation and has
    pursued computational approaches to identifying sequence variations

Since I have arrived, Phil Green, Richard Karp, and Mary Claire King have
joined the faculty, and the Computer Science, Bioengineering, and Molecular
Biotechnology departments have shown a continued interest in cooperating to
bring more computational biologists to the University.

In addition, there are a variety of professors here interested in areas of
computational biology with which I have less familiarity, including data
acquisition, instrument design, ultrasound imaging, protein structure
modeling, protein-small molecule docking, combinatorial chemistry, medical
image analysis, and rational drug design; most (but not all) of these
efforts are related with other departments within the university.

The university also has excellent departments of Computer Science, Statistics,
Mathematics, Biostatistics, Bioengineering, Genetics, Medical Genetics,
Botany, Zoology, and Biochemistry, all of which are constant sources of
interesting seminars and classes.

Good luck in your search for a graduate program.  I hope you will consider
the program we have here; I am very glad to have chosen to study here.

--
Max Robinson            Department of Molecular Biotechnology
max at u.washington.edu    University of Washington, Box 357730