Bio-informatics query

Mats Carlsson matsc at sics.se
Mon Aug 18 20:18:34 EST 1997

I'm a member of a committee which was recently appointed by the Swedish
Foundation for Strategic Research.  The committee is supposed to
come up with a proposal for a national 5-10 year program to boost
(read "bootstrap") research and education (graduate and undergraduate) in
bio-informatics in Sweden.

As part of this task, I'm looking for input from other places.
If you have the time, I would appreciate feedback on the following points.

1. Are there agreed definitions of the terms "Bio-informatics"
   and "Computational molecular biology" which you can point me to?

2. What are the current research topics in bio-informatics, and
   which topics do you think should be given priority?

3. Can you point me to education programs (graduate or undergraduate)
   in bio-informatics in your country or elsewhere?

4. How can interactions between computer scientists and biology/genetics
   researchers be fostered?

Thank you very much in advance,

Mats Carlsson, PhD			Email:	  matsc at sics.se
Intelligent Systems Lab
SICS, PO Box 1263, SE-164 29  KISTA, Sweden