transmembrane spans for an entire genome

Arne Elofsson arne at elof.biokemi.su.se
Fri Dec 19 00:26:03 EST 1997

--Multipart_Wed_Dec_17_18:40:04_1997-1

toddc.NoSpAm at NoSpAm.anet-dfw.com (Todd C.) writes:

> I am interested in reviewing transmembrane spans for all the proteins
> across an entire genome such as M. Jannaschii or H. Pylori.
>
> I've looked at Rost's (PHDtopology) and Persson's (TMAP) and
> Frishman's (Predator) programs and all appear to require mulitple
> aligned homologous sequences for accuracy > 65%.

Toppred2 and DAS perform better on single sequences (available on
http://www.biokemi.su.se/~server/

> Rost posted transmembrane data for 4 genomes but omitted proteins with
> single spans from the result tables.
>
> Any recommendations for finding or generating transmembrane span
> predictions for the complete genomes stored at tigr.org ?

Gunnar von Heijne and Erik Wallin have a paper in press in protein
science I think where they studied some ten genomes. There was a short
communication from Engelman and Brunger in Proteins a few month ago,
with very different results from the one in the Wallin study.

arne

--Multipart_Wed_Dec_17_18:40:04_1997-1

              The more I use Windows, the more I love Linux
 Arne Elofsson     arne at bimbo.biokemi.su.se http://www.biokemi.su.se/~arne/
 Tel:+46(0)8-161553      Dept of Biochemistry, Stockholm University
 Fax:+46(0)8-153679	 10691 Stockholm, Sweden

--Multipart_Wed_Dec_17_18:40:04_1997-1--