Q: how do cells know whether to become ...

Van Dung Ly vanly at cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Sat Feb 1 14:51:42 EST 1997

hello,

I'm a computer science graduate who wishes to branch into biology.

I have in mind a masters research project to simulate cellular tissue,
ultimately I'd like to simulate human flesh for medical purposes.

My Question:
When a mammalian female's egg gets fertilized by a sperm and cell division
takes place, do we know how cells come to know where they are (relative
to each other) so that some become eg. kidney cells, brain cells, muscle
cells, nerve cells etc. ?

Cheers,
Van Dung Ly

"Life is a bridge, do not build a house on it."              _--_|\
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  /      \
vanly at cse.unsw.edu.au                                       \_.--._*
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~vanly/                                v