Proteins & Datastructures

Jeffrey Taylor jeff at adeno.wistar.upenn.edu
Sun Feb 16 13:52:27 EST 1997

I don't know of any protein specific programming books but I can tell you a few
things to get you started.  There are two basic ways that proteins structure
data can be represented.  One way is simply a list (array) of XYZ cartesian
coordinates representing the atom postitions.  A second method often used is
a system of "internal" coordinates.  In this case an array of bond lengths,
angles and torsions can describe a protein structure.  Most programs that use
internal coordinates also use cartesian coordinates and can easily convert
between the two.

I hope this helps a little.  You should search out all the code you can find
(and there is a lot) that deals with proteins and see what others have done.

Happy coding.

Jeff Taylor

--
Jeffrey S. Taylor			        Molecular Modeling
Philadelphia, PA 19104          E-Mail    Jeff at aries.wistar.upenn.edu
(215) 898-2202			WWW     http://adeno.wistar.upenn.edu