Looking for Educational Software !

Dr. Krishnan Chittur chitturk at email.uah.edu
Sun Jun 1 19:52:26 EST 1997

Ethan Benatan (ethan+ at pitt.edu) wrote:

: we recently acquired the BioQuest package and
: I am quite impressed with it; I am using it in a class this summer, so
: if anyone wants to know how it went I will put together a report and
: post it.  They have an extensive web site at
: <http://www.beloit.edu/~bquest/> .

: The neatest thing is that instead of neatly predigested ideas, the
: modules are mostly "virtual labs" where the students must pose
: questions and design experiments, carry them out, and interpret the
: results; an additional emphasis is placed on conveying this information
: to others (a very real part of science, as we all know).

yes, please ! post your experiences ... packages that allow
"virtual labs" where the student must pose questions instead of
packages that act like "Television" are much better ...

There is a lot of activity in "multimedia" in education ... most of
it is hype ... a lot of it is pandering to the TV generation,
do not allow students to play an active role ...

So please ... go ahead and when you have a chance, share your
experiences ... we can learn from them ...

krishnan,