Post doc in Australia with Andrew Torda (biological calculation/simulation)

Andrew Torda torda at rsc.anu.edu.au
Mon Jun 16 20:09:29 EST 1997

POST DOCTORAL POSITION
in Canberra, Australia with Andrew Torda.

Each year, the Research School of Chemistry at the
Australian National University has a series of post-doctoral
fellowships awarded on a competitive basis. Applications for
the current round will be taken until about July 31, 1997.
Expected starting date January 1998.

There are positions in several groups.  This ad mainly
describes my group.

The research group of Andrew Torda is oriented towards
biomolecular calculation and simulation. We are working in
areas such as low-resolution (protein fold recognition) force
fields, refinement of experimental structures using MD
simulation, mixing knowledge-based force fields and
experimental data.
All the projects in the group involve coding - not just
applications.  It would be an advantage to have a reasonable
knowledge of data structures and algorithms and programming
experience in civilized languages (not fortran).

Currently, possible projects would be centred around some new
algorithms for aligning amino acid sequences to structures,
based on the force fields we have developed.  We are also
looking at protein fold classification using topological and
graph theory methods.
Projects are negotiable.

Salary: $40,963 - $43,834 per annum. Grants are provided
towards travel and removal.  Positions are initially for two
years with a possible extension to a third year. There is a
housing office to help find accommodation.

The Research School of Chemistry is part of the Institute of
Advanced Studies which runs special research schools, in
parallel to the normal teaching schools, and without any
undergraduate teaching duties. The university is in the centre
of Canberra (the nation's capital).

Given the research orientation of the school, there is a
lively academic environment. We have close contacts with the
school's other theoretical groups in statistical mechanics,
quantum chemistry and chemical physics. From the point of view
of experimental groups, we maintain close ties to the school's
NMR, X-ray crystallography and molecular biology groups.

Anyone interested in the Torda group should look at
  http://www.rsc.anu.edu.au/~torda
That also contains a pointer to a page of recent publications.

The official advertisement is at
  http://www.rsc.anu.edu.au/RSC/AcademicPositions/RSC_Academic_Positions.html
and read under "Postdoctoral Fellowships".
This contains instructions for how to apply.

Andrew Torda