What is a Bioinformatician?

Rob Miller rmiller at house.med.und.ac.za
Sun Mar 23 19:13:14 EST 1997

Peter Karp wrote:

< [author not cited, tsk, tsk] >
> > I agree with this rather pessimistic view. At the end of one meeting on
> > that, no, their companies would not. They just did not have the mechanisms
> > for identifying someone who was good at an ill-defined subject (i.e. one
> > that did not fit into the form on an HR person's desk), nor the mechanisms
> > for evaluating, using and promoting (or firing) them once they had got
> > them. So, while evryone talks about multidisciplinary work, the big
> > companies cannot hire people to do it.
>
> I find your comments hard to understand given that SmithKline has in
> fact hired a number of very good multidisciplinary bioinformaticians.

I suspect they were actively recruited rather than applicants who
submitted
cvs.

Re: the subject line, in my mind a bioinformatician is an individual
who can consider/discuss questions involving relatively advanced
concepts from both computer science and biochemistry.  For example,
relating the Chomsky hierarchy to protein folding or enzyme mechanisms.

							rob.

Robert T. Miller, Ph.D.
rmiller at house.med.und.ac.za

Manager - Durban Satellite - South African National Bioinformatics
Institute

Faculty of Medicine / Dept of Virology / University of Natal
Private Bag 7 / Congella 4013 / Durban / South Africa
phone +27 (031) 3603743                     fax +27 (031) 3603744 or
2604441