Data of hydrophobicity indices

ctzhang at tju.edu.cn ctzhang at tju.edu.cn
Tue May 6 18:54:35 EST 1997

Hi, Dear Netters:

Several days ago, I wrote:

> I need to read a recent review paper listing various hydrophobicity indices
> of 20 amino acids, measured or calculated by various methods.
> I am grateful to anybody for showing me the reference of such a paper
> via e-mail.

> My e-mail address:  ctzhang at tju.edu.cn

> Ren Zhang

Now I have received many valuable information and I thank all those who ever
helped me. I summarize their responses as follows for you reference:

1. C.S.Raman :

   Tomii K; Kanehisa M.
   Analysis of amino acid indices and mutation matrices for sequence
   comparison and structure prediction of proteins.
   Protein Engineering, 1996 Jan, 9(1):27-36.

2. C. Zheng

    1. Eisenberg et al Nature 319, 199(1986)
    2. Kyte et al J. Mol. Biol. 157, 105(1982)
    3. Weaver, Biopolymers 32, 477 (1992)

3.  R. Hall

       Tanford, C. (1970).  Adv. Prot. Chem. 24: 1-95.
       Tanford, C. (1973) The Hydrophobic Effect, Wiley, NYNY.

4.  D. Nitecki
    Int.J.P.prot.Res 35, 378, 1990

5.  Shaun D. Black
    http://pegasus.uthct.edu/ResUTHCT/Investigators/SBlack/aagrease.html
    http://pegasus.uthct.edu/ResUTHCT/Investigators/SBlack/aamodgre.html

6.    Paul Davis
       Nakai, K., Kidera, A., and Kanehisa, M.;  Cluster analysis of
       amino acid indices for prediction of protein structure and
       function.  Protein Eng. 2, 93-100 (1988)

       Tomii, K. and Kanehisa, M.;  Analysis of amino acid indices and
       mutation matrices for sequence comparison and structure
       prediction of proteins.  Protein Eng. 9, 27-36 (1996).

7.     John Marcus
       http://www.eng.uci.edu/~hslee/aainfo/hydro.htm

8.     John R. Jungck

       BioQUEST Curriculum Consortium homepage:
       http://www.beloit.edu/~bquest
       The BioQUEST Library homepage:
       http://terrapin.umd.edu/BioQUEST_Libray.html
       Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching homepage:
       http://papa.indstate.edu/amcbt/bioscene.html
       Computational Molecular Biology and Molecular
       Bioinformatics Workshop homepage:
       http://juno.ucsd.edu/~sje/thailand.html

9.    John Philo

    Hydrophobicity values are available on the net from the Skirball
    Institute site at
    http://128.122.10.5/aainfo/contents.htm

    Also visit Shaun Black's site in Texas with data for modified amino
    acids and references:
    http://pegasus.uthct.edu/ResUTHCT/Investigators/SBlack/aamodgre.html

10.  J.Krishnamurti

     If we really understand the problem, the answer will come out of it,
     because the answer is not separate from the problem.

Ren Zhang