Looking for Educational Software !

Pedro Mendes prm at aber.ac.uk
Fri May 30 13:45:35 EST 1997

In article <boullon.25.0008A23D at fcu.um.es>, boullon at fcu.um.es says...

>I am trying to obtain a list for different free, share and pay-ware
>software for teaching Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
>Does anybody know any address were to get such a list ?.

I don't know of such a list, but I can tell you about some software that you
may want to use as an aid in teaching biochemical kinetics and metabolic
control analysis.

Gepasi is  a free simulator for the kinetics of biochemical pathways. It
runs under Windows 95 or NT. You can easily use Gepasi for teaching
purposes, allowing the students to define pathways and then to make changes
to the parameters and seeing the effect (that is allowing them to explore
the behaviour of the pathways). This can as well be done with single enzymes
if the interest is on enzyme kinetics (instead of pathway kinetics).

Gepasi is available from
http://gepasi.dbs.aber.ac.uk/softw/Gepasi.html

There is also a list of similar programs at:
http://gepasi.dbs.aber.ac.uk/metab/mca_soft.htm

--
Pedro Mendes                                     Inst. Biological Sciences
prm at aber.ac.uk (home: pedro at enzyme.demon.co.uk)  Univ. Wales, Aberystwyth,