Digital UNIX based image and text conversion software?

Matthew Weed maw42 at morpheus.cis.yale.edu
Mon Oct 27 14:23:05 EST 1997

My name is Matthew Weed, and I am a blind graduate student working on a
Ph.D. in Yale University's Department of Genetics.  I have been working
with Macintosh based optical character recognition systems for several
years, as these have been the main way of transferring my academic
materials from text to a form that I can access.

I am about to come into possession of a DEC series 255/300 Alpha work
station, running the latest version of Digital UNIX, which I hope to use
for both OCR purposes and other research.  I, however, am largely unaware
of what may be available in the Digital UNIX universe in terms of optical
scanning and image recognition software,
  and which optical scanners (I've used HP scanners with
my Macs in the past) may work best with such a machine.  Three or four
years ago I was looking at Sun/Solaris based machines, and heard about a
package (I think from Xerox), called Scanwerks(I believe) that had the
capability to recursively check through a document which had been scanned,
and correct many of its interpretive errors, without the intervention of
the user.  I have also heard about a package from SGI that works on their
machines that allows one to use a Macintosh or windows based machine as a
front end, while the work station does the actual OCR work.  If you are
aware of
image conversion and optical character recognition  packages available in
the DEC UNIX field that will handle OCR work I would really appreciate
hearing about them.

--
"There are few ironclad rules of diplomacy but to one there is no
 exception.When an official reports that talks were useful, it can
  Galbraith:	Matthew Weed	weed-matthew at yale.edu, weed at helix.nih.gov