PICT format

Athel athel at ir2cbm.cnrs-mrs.fr
Wed Sep 10 11:43:17 EST 1997

Can anyone tell me where I can find out how (Macintosh) files in PICT
format are actually formatted, so that I can write programs that will
write PICT files that commercial drawing programs will be able to read?
I am interested in the simplest possible case, i.e. where the picture is
just a black and white bitmap.

At the moment I produce a text file containing the coordinates, read
this into DeltaGraph 3.5 and use its drawing tools to do a bit of
labelling. However, as anyone who uses DeltaGraph much will know, it
produces gigantic files that are typically about ten to twenty times
larger than they have any conceivable reason to be. (Some years ago I
found out part of the reason: a DeltaGraph file copied at pasted into
SuperPaint proved to contain large numbers of zero-length lines). This
makes them very different to copy into other programs, transfer to other
computers, etc. The current file I am trying to handle is of 1.6 MB,
though it doesn't define more than 100 K or so points, and every time I
have tried to copy it into a drawing program I have crashed my system.

It would be a lot simpler if I could write a program that would produce
a file directly that a drawing program (like SuperPaint) could read.

Athel Cornish-Bowden