PICT format

Don Gilbert gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu
Thu Sep 11 00:55:12 EST 1997

Your choice of a bitmap is not the simplest PICT output -- it
is kind of tricky.  PICT is mostly a vector drawing format,
like Postscript, and adding bitmaps requires some complex
compression and bit counting.

You can find my Java classes to produce PICT files at
and more fully in the DCLAP framework in iubio:/molbio/java/source/dclap*.zip

C++ versions of this PICT writer are in

The Java version currently lacks the ability to do bitmaps, the C++
version does bitmaps.  DCLAP is an application framework for biocomputing;
you are welcome to use it in its entirety (the newer Java version
is what I recommend).  In this can, saving any drawing from it
to PICT, Postscript or GIF formats is pretty simple to program.

-- Don

-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu