PICT format

Don Gilbert gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu
Thu Sep 11 00:55:12 EST 1997

Athel,

Your choice of a bitmap is not the simplest PICT output -- it
is kind of tricky.  PICT is mostly a vector drawing format,
like Postscript, and adding bitmaps requires some complex
compression and bit counting.

You can find my Java classes to produce PICT files at
  ftp://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/molbio/java/apps/gr2pict/
  http://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/soft/molbio/java/apps/gr2pict/
and more fully in the DCLAP framework in iubio:/molbio/java/source/dclap*.zip

C++ versions of this PICT writer are in
  ftp://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/util/dclap/source/dclap*.tar.gz

The Java version currently lacks the ability to do bitmaps, the C++
version does bitmaps.  DCLAP is an application framework for biocomputing;
you are welcome to use it in its entirety (the newer Java version
is what I recommend).  In this can, saving any drawing from it
to PICT, Postscript or GIF formats is pretty simple to program.

-- Don

-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu