[Re: PICT format]

Dr. P.L. Taylor ptaylor at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Sep 11 15:41:58 EST 1997

-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu

>Athel,
>
>Your choice of a bitmap is not the simplest PICT output -- it
>is kind of tricky.  PICT is mostly a vector drawing format,
>like Postscript, and adding bitmaps requires some complex
>compression and bit counting.

Not at all - it could hardly be simpler in fact.
Takes just 3 lines of code:

OpenPicture(aPicHandle);
CopyBits(myBitMap, myBitMap, myBitMap.bounds, myBitMap.bounds,
			SrcCopy, Nil);
ClosePicture;

aPicHandle is a PicHandle which will hold the picture.

What this does is copy the bitmap to itself, while recording the
operation into a picture.  You don't have to know anything about
the internal structure of the picture, the toolbox does it all
for you.

To save the data in aPicHandle to a file, first write a 512-byte
header consisting of all zeroes, then follow it with the contents
of aPicHandle.  FileType should (of course) be 'PICT'.

If you need more details mail me.

Phil Taylor                         |        MRC Reproductive Biology Unit
mbplt at seqnet.dl.ac.uk               |        Edinburgh EH3 9EW
ptaylor at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk              |        Scotland.