[Re: PICT format]

Petr Kuzmic pkuzmic at biokin.com
Mon Sep 15 01:18:24 EST 1997

Dr. P.L. Taylor wrote:
> Not at all - it could hardly be simpler in fact.
> Takes just 3 lines of code:
>
> OpenPicture(aPicHandle);
> CopyBits(myBitMap, myBitMap, myBitMap.bounds, myBitMap.bounds,
>                         SrcCopy, Nil);
> ClosePicture;

I wonder if some confusion might not be arising from the fact that Athel
wants a bitmap file, where he might want to have the 'native' PICT
format instead.

As I understand it, the PICT file simply records a sequence of calls to
the QuickDraw library, sitting in the Macintosh ROM.  Sort of of like
Windows Meta Files recording a sequence of function calls.  Then why
might one want a bitmap?  For portability to DOS/Windows?  Really good
Windows drawing programs can read the PICT format with no problems (my
favored is Canvas from Daneba Software).   Certainly _all_ Macintosh
drawing programs can read files in the (native) PICT format.

Athel, is there any particular reason for the _bitmap_ format?