[Re: PICT format]

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.genetics.washington.edu
Mon Sep 15 23:58:40 EST 1997

In article <5vbsan$82j at gap.cco.caltech.edu>,
 David Mathog <mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu> wrote:
>In article <5v8uoh$djj$1 at niobium.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk>, ptaylor at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk (Dr. P.L. Taylor) writes:
[about writing a PICT bitmap file]
>>Takes just 3 lines of code:
>>
>>OpenPicture(aPicHandle);
>>CopyBits(myBitMap, myBitMap, myBitMap.bounds, myBitMap.bounds,
>>			SrcCopy, Nil);
>>ClosePicture;
>
>That's what it looks like inside a Mac, but none of those calls are
>available on any other platform, so if you want to have a program that can
>write a PICT *in general* it is a serious amount of work.  This is why
>PICT never became a widely accepted standard outside of the Mac platform.

Which raises a question.  In my phylogeny package, we have some tree-drawing
programs that can write a bunch of file formats.  We'd like to have one that
writes a vector format that can be read by lots of drawing programs.  For
the moment, the only one that we have that is widely used out there is PICT.

Is there some other vector format that has wide support?   At the moment,
if a Windows user wants to use our programs to write out a file that
will be read into a Windows drawing program, I recommend that they choose
the PICT file format.  This is scary but works for many Windows drawing
programs.

Is there some other format that it is more useful to support (for vector
drawing on non-Mac systems)?   Computer Graphics Metafile (CGM)?

Joe Felsenstein         joe at genetics.washington.edu