Bio-informatics query

Georg Fuellen fuellen at dali.Mathematik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Thu Sep 18 23:02:17 EST 1997

[To Moderator:
I sent the following on 4 Sep 1997, but it didn't appear, nor is it
in the archive.]

Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 12:21:21 +0200
Sender: fuellen at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE (Georg Fuellen)
Subject: Re: Bio-informatics query
To: matsc at sics.se (Mats Carlsson)
Cc: fuellen at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE

In article <MATSC.97Aug18111252 at scheutz.sics.se>, matsc at sics.se (Mats Carlsson)
writes:
|> I'm a member of a committee which was recently appointed by the Swedish
|> Foundation for Strategic Research.  The committee is supposed to
|> come up with a proposal for a national 5-10 year program to boost
|> (read "bootstrap") research and education (graduate and undergraduate) in
|> bio-informatics in Sweden.
|>
|> As part of this task, I'm looking for input from other places.
|> If you have the time, I would appreciate feedback on the following points.
|>
|> 1. Are there agreed definitions of the terms "Bio-informatics"
|>    and "Computational molecular biology" which you can point me to?

A few pointers to definitions are listed at
http://www.bio.net/hypermail/BIO-SOFTWARE/9707/0222.html
But these are probably no ``agreed definitions''... I'd be interested
in them as well !

|> 2. What are the current research topics in bio-informatics, and
|>    which topics do you think should be given priority?

As Bob Phair said, interaction between biologists and computer scientists/
mathematicians is the most essential. Otherwise, resulting software
may either lack biological relevance/accuracy, or maintainabilty/efficiency
/soundness/etc.

|> 3. Can you point me to education programs (graduate or undergraduate)
|>    in bio-informatics in your country or elsewhere?

See the large list at
http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/bcd/Curric/syllabi.html
The VSNS-BCD Hypertext Coursebook at
http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/bcd/Curric/welcome.html
will soon undergo renovation for the planned 1998 VSNS-BCD Biocomputing Course.

|> 4. How can interactions between computer scientists and biology/genetics
|>    researchers be fostered?

Virtual courses are an excellent way doing that ;-) See
http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/bcd/Sum/welcome_e.html

best wishes,
Georg Fuellen,
Univ. Bielefeld, Research Group in Practical Comp. Science
http://www.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/bcd/welcome.html