Laboratory Robotics Interest Group April Meeeting

Andy Zaayenga andy.zaayenga at bigfoot.com
Tue Apr 14 10:36:05 EST 1998

The Laboratory Robotics Interest Group

April 1998 Meeting
Information Strategies

Date: Wednesday, April 22, 1998
Place: Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical Corporation, Raritan, NJ
Itinerary:
Social Period & Refreshments, Lobby - 5:00 to 6:30 PM
Presentations and Discussion, Auditorium - 6:30 to 9:15 PM
Pre-Registration: Requested, not required.  Registering will allow us to
more accurately gauge seating requirements and refreshment needs.  Indicate
names of attendees and company affiliation.
mailto:zaayenga at lab-robotics.org
Phone: (732)302-1038
Fax: (732)302-9080

Agenda:  Data management and instrument control are two components of
Information Strategies which are critical to  automation.   This meeting
will address these issues in succinct presentations designed to portray
successful approaches.  The Social Period will feature deli platters and
beverages courtesy of the sponsors.  Members interested in presenting a
poster during the Social Period are encouraged to do so.  Following the
presentations there will be a open forum panel discussion.  Open career
positions at your company may be announced or posted.  There is no fee to
attend the meeting.
_____________________________________

Presentation:  A novel object-relational database for chemical and
biological data management
John Cargill
Associate Director, Information Systems
Ontogen Corporation

This talk describes recent unpublished work carried out at Ontogen
Corporation and Daylight Chemical Information Systems in the design and
implementation of a novel object-relational database for chemical and
biological data management. Until now chemical data has been stored in
proprietary databases and biological data has been stored in relational
database management systems (RDBMS). Our work integrates a molecule
data-type into a relational database. This innovation unites chemical and
biological data management into a single universal database. In this
universal database all chemical information storage, searching and retrieval
is handled using a standard Structured Query Language (SQL-92) defined by
the International Standards Organization (ISO). Performance optimizations
provide structure searching at speeds consistent with the fastest
proprietary databases. As a result of this work it is now possible to
simplify and standardize the management of pharmaceutical
data.
_____________________________________

Presentation:  My Instrument: A Proposal for a Standardized Software
Interface to Analytical Instrumentation
James Duckworth
Vice President of Sales and Marketing
Galactic Industries Corp.

Good software is clearly an indispensable part of sophisticated analytical
instruments. However, due to a lack of standards in the industry, each
manufacturer and instrument supplier has developed their own, unique
software packages to interface with today's popular Windows-based computers.
While this is fine when the instrument is used in the capacity the
manufacturer envisioned, it requires substantial amounts of new code
development to build customized and automated solutions around a given piece
of instrumentation. In addition, the ever evolving software technology base
and lack of standards forces the vendors to develop new software for nearly
every new piece of instrumentation. This talk will focus on a proposed
standard programming interface for instrumentation called "My Instrument".
Using Microsoft's ActiveX component design, this proposal will someday make
connecting a piece of scientific instrumentation to any software package as
easy as using a printer is today.
_____________________________________

Presentation:  Dynamic Queries: an Interactive Approach to Data
Visualization in Drug Discovery
Christopher Ahlberg, PhD
CEO and Founder
Spotfire, Inc.

Interactive data visualization brings a solution to the data explosion
caused by high throughput instrumentation technologies, genomic databases,
and lead repositories. Spotfire, a visual environment for data exploration,
is based on research at the University of Maryland and Chalmers University,
and provide large users groups in drug discovery with capabilities for
speeding up data analysis and avoiding gross early errors. The presentation
will include a live demonstration.
_____________________________________

Presentation:  Chemically-Intelligent Control for Combinatorial Chemistry
Instruments
David Chapman
President
Afferent Systems Inc.

Afferent Synthesis completely eliminates robot programming, by working from
an abstract description of the chemistry involved in making the library. The
system is device-independent; with a suitable driver, it can be used with
any synthetic instrument. Afferent Synthesis makes it possible to interleave
the synthesis of several libraries, or several batches of reaction vessels
from a single large library, eliminating incubation "dead time" and
dramatically increasing throughput. It also provides robustness by
implementing synthesis error recovery and task restart, and a protocol
optimization module lets you systematically vary conditions to find best
conditions for a reaction. When coupled with Afferent Structure, the system
automatically generates chemical product structures, and tracks their
locations.
_____________________________________

Presentation:
Dr. Keith Taylor
MDL Information Systems
_____________________________________

Presentation:
EMAX Solution Partners
_____________________________________

Presentation:
Michael Schwartz
Oxford Molecular Group
_____________________________________

For more information contact:

Executive Chair:
Dennis France
mailto:dennis.france at pharma.novartis.com
(973)781-6030
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation

Secretary:
Andy Zaayenga
mailto:andy.zaayenga at tekcel.com
(732)302-1038
TekCel Corporation

Analytical Chemistry Chair and Treasurer:
William Haller
mailto:bhaller at ompus.jnj.com
(908)218-6341
Ortho-McNeil

High Throughput Screening Chair:
John Babiak, Ph.D.
mailto:babiakj at war.wyeth.com
(732)274-4788
Wyeth-Ayerst Research

Agricultural Applications Chair:
Sharon Reed
mailto:reeds at pt.cyanamid.com
(609)716-2905
American Cyanamid

Data Management Chair:
Steve Fillers, Ph.D.
mailto:william.fillers at pharma.novartis.com
(908)277-7723
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation
_____________________________________

Directions to Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical Corporation

>From Newark Airport (40 miles/approx. 50 minutes)
Follow Route 78 West to Exit 29 (Route 287 South) · Continue on Route 287
South to Exit 17 (Routes 202/206 South) · Take Routes 202/206 South to the
Somerville Interchange (the old circle) · See below * for directions to J&J
facilities.

>From JFK Airport (55 miles/approx. 80 minutes)
Follow general exit road (Route 678 North/Van Wyck Expressway) to Belt
(Shore) Parkway West · Continue on Belt (Shore) Parkway West to Exit 3
(Verrazano-Narrows Bridge/Route 278 West) · Cross Verrazano-Narrows Bridge
and continue on Route 278 West/Staten Island Expressway to Exit 9 (West
Shore Expressway/Route 440 West) · Stay on 440 West across the Outerbridge
Crossing into New Jersey · Route 440 West becomes Route 287 North · Travel
on Route 287 North to Exit 14 (Route 22 West) · Take Route 22 West to Routes
202/206 South and to the Somerville Interchange (the old circle) · See below
* for directions to J&J facilities.

>From LaGuardia Airport (60 miles/approx. 85 minutes)
Follow signs to Grand Central Parkway West/New York City/Triborough Bridge
(center lane) · Cross Triborough Bridge, move to left lane, and take the
Major Deegan Expressway/Route 87 North to George Washington Bridge/Route 95
West · Cross George Washington Bridge and follow Route 95 West to the New
Jersey Turnpike South · Continue on the New Jersey Turnpike South to Exit 14
(Route 78 West) · Travel on Route 78 West to Exit 29 (Route 287 South) ·
Continue on Route 287 South to Exit 17 (Routes 202/206 South) · Take Routes
202/206 South to the Somerville Interchange (the old circle) · See below *
for directions to J&J facilities.

>From New York City (50 miles/approx. 60 minutes)
Take the Lincoln Tunnel to the New Jersey Turnpike South to Exit 14 (Route
78 West) · [Or, the Holland Tunnel to the New Jersey Turnpike Extension to
Exit 14 (Route 78 West)] · Follow Route 78 West to Exit 29 (Route 287 South)
· Continue on Route 287 South to Exit 17 (Routes 202/206 South) · Take
Routes 202/206 South to the Somerville Interchange (the old circle) · See
below * for directions to J&J facilities.

>From Philadelphia (55 miles/approx. 90 minutes)
Take Route 95 North (which becomes 295 South) follow to Exit 69 (Route 206
North) · Follow Route 206 North to the Somerville Interchange (the old
circle) · See below * for directions to J&J facilities.

* To J&J facilities from the Somerville Interchange (the old circle)
Take Route 202 South 1/2 mile to the second traffic light · J&J facilities
are on the right are, in order, Ortho Biotech; PRI; and Ortho-McNeil
Pharmaceutical Corporation · PRI’s Protein Development Center is located
behind PRI on Ortho Drive, (the road leading west into the campus), and the
Child Development Center is situated farther west on the same road · The
building also can be reached by following Route 28 West at the Somerville
Circle and turning left onto Ortho Drive.
_____________________________________

Group Update:
February meeting winners: Stephan Grant from Merck won the Devils tickets in
the Nalge Nunc drawing.  Joe Guiles from Hoechst Marion Roussel won the
rosewood pen set in the LRIG drawing. Another business card drawing will be
held at the April meeting.
February meeting losers: We severely underestimated the turnout.  The food
ran out and the presentation room was overcrowded.  We are requesting
members to register for the April meeting so this does not happen again.  We
will do our best to have sufficient food and space in future meetings, with
the patronage of our vendor members.