Linux for large scale sequencing?

Peter C. Tribble ptribble at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Feb 13 13:09:33 EST 1998

In article <ygb7m79dntw.fsf at elof.biokemi.su.se>,
	Arne Elofsson <arne at elof.biokemi.su.se> writes:

>> Dell XPS Pentium II 300MHz, 64MB RAM, RH Linux 5.0:      11 minutes
>> Sun Ultra2 Creator 3D, 300MHz, 128MB RAM, Solaris 2.5:   40 minutes
>>
> This differnce is too big. OK solaris is slower than linux but the
> ultraII should be about  the same speed as a pentium II

The difference is way too big. An UltraI, not UltraII, is about the
same speed as a pentiumII, and we're actually finding our phrap runs to
be memory-bound, so this result is odd. On the face of it, there's hope
for phrap on Suns to go at least 5 times faster, maybe rather more.

--
-Peter Tribble
HGMP Computing Services