Computer for sequence analysis

Bent Nagstrup Bent.Nagstrup at kba.sks.aau.dk
Thu Oct 15 12:56:07 EST 1998

>  I would like your thoughts about witch computer is best for sequence
>  analysis.

The model which will run your software! Seriously, you start by figuring out
what software to use, and let that decide.

K6's are generally not good due to their rather poor floating point
performance.

>  I understand most software is for Unix, isn't it?

Yes, but which unix flavour? That's the real problem, if it runs under Linux
you'd go for a PII with a fast graphics card that's well supported by X
(Matrox cards are always a good bet), but if it only runs under Irix or SunOS
- well then the decision is already made.

--
Bent Nagstrup <Bent.Nagstrup at mmf.aau.dk> M.Sc.
Research Unit for Molecular Biology, Aarhus University