Computer for sequence analysis

Richard P. Grant see_sig at cmtech.co.delete.uk
Fri Oct 16 21:19:39 EST 1998

In article <6vupui$geu$1 at xinwen.daimi.aau.dk>,
Bent.Nagstrup at kba.sks.aau.dk (Bent Nagstrup) wrote:

<original poster details missing>

: >  I would like your thoughts about witch computer is best for sequence
: >  analysis.
:
: The model which will run your software! Seriously, you start by figuring out
: what software to use, and let that decide.
:

Since much of the software is cross-platform (and there are substitutes
for that which isn't), I'm not convinced this is a big issue.

I think that anything you want to do will be doable on any platform,
except possibly Amstrads :-)

I would say go for the computer that you find easiest to use and that you
are most comfortable with - bear in mind that sequence analysis might not
be all you want to do . . .

And you will need a good, reliable internet connection - which may not
come as standard on your machine of choice.  Showing my colours (-: , Macs
come with built-in 'out of the box' ethernet connections these days.

: >  I understand most software is for Unix, isn't it?
:
: Yes, but which unix flavour? That's the real problem, if it runs under Linux
: you'd go for a PII with a fast graphics card that's well supported by X

The G3 PPCs run Linux too - see http://mercury.owc.net/linuxppc/index.html

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at cmtech.co.uk
Senior R&D Scientist          |             work: www.cmtech.co.uk
Cambridge Molecular           |      home: www.avnet.co.uk/adastra
 -- 'Practising biochemistry without a licence' - E. Chargaff --