BS-Level Jobs in Bioinformatics

bjorne_o at bjorne_o at
Thu Jun 3 16:46:28 EST 1999

In article <1dspv0a.uvz8ba1cqo71bN at>,
	herwin at (Harry Erwin) writes:
> My son has been looking for BS-level jobs in bioinformatics.  The
> impression we're forming is that the search image of HR departments is a
> MS/PhD with 5-10 years experience in the field.  There seem to be no
> entry-level positions. Is this impression valid?

Bioinformatics is an interdisciplinary field, requiring
good knowledge of both biology and computer science. So
a BS degree is usually just not sufficient. Until integrated
study programs become common, the usual route into the area
will still be to start with a degree in one field, and then
cross into the other during graduate study.