BS-Level Jobs in Bioinformatics

Harry Erwin herwin at gmu.edu
Fri Jun 4 15:13:39 EST 1999

<bjorne_o at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In article <1dspv0a.uvz8ba1cqo71bN at user-2ivei15.dialup.mindspring.com>,
>       herwin at gmu.edu (Harry Erwin) writes:
> > My son has been looking for BS-level jobs in bioinformatics.  The
> > impression we're forming is that the search image of HR departments is a
> > MS/PhD with 5-10 years experience in the field.  There seem to be no
> > entry-level positions. Is this impression valid?
>
> Bioinformatics is an interdisciplinary field, requiring
> good knowledge of both biology and computer science. So
> a BS degree is usually just not sufficient. Until integrated
> study programs become common, the usual route into the area
> will still be to start with a degree in one field, and then
> cross into the other during graduate study.
>
> Bjorn

He did a BS in biomedical science with a number of programming courses
and his senior project (5th year) was "A Computer Program for Picking
Optimal Primer Pairs for the Polymerase Chain Reaction" (done with
George Michaels).  He knows C, C++, and the STL.

--
Harry Erwin, <http://mason.gmu.edu/~herwin>, Sr SW Analyst,
PhD cand (informatics/computational sci) modeling how bats