Bioinformatics texts

Martin J. Cann mjcann at mail.med.cornell.edu
Mon Jan 31 17:03:47 EST 2000

Hello all,

I am a molecular biologist and want to break into the field of
computational biology from this side.  Can anyone please recommend good
beginners texts in algorithms (one that does not assume a lot of math,
maybe leaning toward biological applications), bioinformatics,
programming
etc. that can get me up and running.  I have fairly clear ideas of what
want to achieve but want to learn what tools exist for me out there and
how
I can tinker with those tools to ask new questions.

I'm probably asking a lot but any ideas on books or the kind of approach
should take would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Martin Cann

Department of Pharmacology