Bioinformatics texts

Marty Brandon mbrandon at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 24 13:08:23 EST 2000

I'm a graduate student in Bioinformatics at Georgia Tech and just wanted to say
that I think you should plan your approach according to those goals that you
have in mind.  My first year, I did a rotation in a lab doing sequence
analysis.  The lab was headed by a mathematician and strong emphasis was placed
on math skills (e.g. Markov chains, combinatorics, statistics) with just a
basic knowledge of programming in Perl.  However, I am now working on a DNA
database in a lab run by molecular biologist.  The main goal here is to
organize the data and make it available for display via the web.  I've studying
much more programming (Perl, Java, CGI, HTML, XML) and database implementation
(Oracle) in this role.  I might add that there are still other areas within
bioinformatics (data visualizaiton, modeling) that would require still different
sets of skills.  My advice is to put a lot of thought into what are you are
interested in.

Martin Brandon
mbrandon at gen.emory.edu