Biophysics grad school

Michael Anshel mikeat1140 at aol.com
Mon Apr 2 13:55:45 EST 2001

The level of NIH funding may provide some help in
locating a grad school of interest. See the listing from
Science below:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/vol291/issue5513/r-samples.shtml#top
NIH FAVORITES IN 2000

NIH FAVORITES IN 2000
Rank 	Institution 	Funding($ millions)
1	Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore 	419.4
2	University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 	321.3
3 	University of Washington, Seattle 	302.5
4	University of California, San Francisco 	295.3
5	Washington University, St. Louis 	279.5
6	University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 	260.4
7	Harvard University, Cambridge, MA	250.4
8	University of California, Los Angeles 	243.6
9	Yale University, New Haven, CT 	242.8
10	Columbia University, New York City 	226.7

Johns Hopkins University once again tops the list of recipients of funds from
the National Institutes of Health (NIH), according to preliminary 2000 figures
released by the U.S. government's biomedical megafunder. Only one school that
made the top 10 3 years ago--Stanford University--slipped off the list,
dropping from ninth to 12th place. It's been replaced by Columbia University,
which was 11th in 1997. NIH funding for these heavyweights grew by roughly 40%
from 1997 to 2000--keeping pace with the expansion of NIH's budget over the
same period.