GP and Arka -- software for molecular biology

Gary Williams gwilliam at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Feb 13 14:15:41 EST 2001

In article <9611l1$ja7gd$1 at fu-berlin.de>,
January Weiner  <nospam_jweiner1 at ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
>Hello.
>
>	I have created two lightweight, Unix (or, rather, Linux) -based
>	packages for manipulation / analysis of sequence data. Maybe
>	someone is interested -- they were mainly for my own work, but they
>	are pretty well documented and have certain advantages over GCG or
>	GUI based software.

January,

I was very interested to hear of your bioinformatics package.

We are doing something very similar - EMBOSS
http://www.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/Software/EMBOSS/

EMBOSS is a collection of Open Source command line tools written in ANSI C.

You might like to join our project, or contribute some software to it?

We are always interested in GUIs for EMBOSS.
Could Arka be adapted to be an interface to EMBOSS?

Gary

Gary Williams               Tel: +44 1223 494522  Fax: +44 1223 494512
mailto:G.Williams at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk            http://www.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk/
Bioinformatics,MRC HGMP Resource Centre,Hinxton,Cambridge, CB10 1SB,UK