BASICS bioinformatics online course Hopkins summer 2002

Sadhya Moss, JHU sadhya at jhu.edu
Tue Apr 23 23:09:49 EST 2002

Hello bionet.biology.computational reader,

I would like to let you know about the Zanvyl Krieger School of Arts &
Sciences BASICS bioinformatics course -- Computers in Molecular
Biology. This course is open to undergraduates and talented high
school students online, summer 2002.

This course is derived from the graduate level version offered in our
master's degree in biotechnology program, and is a great teaching tool
for lab scientists who do not have data retrieval and analysis skills,
and for managers seeking greater understanding of the bioinformatics
processes; the teacher of this course is a real master. Bob Lessick
earned his Ph.D. from Hopkins, works in data analysis and retrieval,
and is a seasoned online instructor.

If you know of anyone who this course would serve, please pass this
information along. If there is anyone you might suggest that I
contact, I would be appreciative to know. This is our first term
offering this course to undergraduates and pre-college students.

Sadhya

http://www.jhu.edu/summer/vu/online_biology.html

Computers in Molecular Biology 020.120 (N)
Retrieval and analysis of electronic information are essential in
today's research environment. This course explores the theory and
practice of molecular database searching and sequence alignment and
introduces students to integrated information retrieval and analysis.
It covers databases and
Internet access, sequence homology searching and multiple alignment,
and sequence motif analysis. Classes are held n the computer lab and
include analysis of software setup and usage, sequence analysis over
the Internet, and the interpretation of results. Some acquaintance
with computers is
required.

Prerequisites: 020.151 General Biology, or 020.130 Introduction to
Biological Molecules, or AP Biology (score of 4 or 5); 020.305
Biochemistry recommended
Second Term: July 1 to August 9 on-line
$1490 3 credits Lessick

sadhya at jhu.edu