Bioinformatics degree questions.

Kenneth Blaine Ken_Blaine at _nospampleaseexcite_.com
Mon Mar 25 22:16:25 EST 2002

Hello all,

I'm thinking about going back to school to (eventually) get a PhD in
bioinformatics.  My original degree was in a non-technical field (business
administration) so I've got quite a lot of makeup work to do before I can
consider applying to grad school.   The way that I look at it, I have three
options I could follow before I apply:

1.  Take only the standard courses necessary for entrance into a graduate
bioinformatics program.

2.  Get a (second) undergraduate degree in molecular biology.

3.  Get a (second) undergraduate degree in molecular biology and take the
extra year of courses required for a masters in molecular biology.

(Note:  I do plan on taking several extra courses in mathematics and
computer science, in any case.  But I can take more of them if I don't have
to worry about filling (Lib Arts&Sci) requirements for the 2nd degree.)

So, which of these options would give me the best chance at getting into a
good graduate program?   Or are they all pretty much on par?   Also, how
difficult is it to get into a bioinformatics program?  I've read that many
universities are having a hard time keeping professors in the field - that
many are being lured away by the private sector.  Has this caused it to be
significantly more difficult to be admitted to a bioinformatics program than
to a regular molecular biology program?

Any tips/guidance are appreciated!

Thanks,
Kenneth