Bioinformatics degree questions.

Kenneth Blaine Ken_Blaine at _nospampleaseexcite_.com
Fri Mar 29 21:14:54 EST 2002

"Kevin Karplus" <karplus at bray.cse.ucsc.edu> wrote in message
news:slrnaa2079.qr3.karplus at bray.cse.ucsc.edu...

> There are a lot more molecular biology programs than bioinformatics
> programs, and the necessary training to get into them is not as broad
> (though possibly deeper).  You can look at
>
> http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/centers/cbe/FAQ.html
>
> to answer a number of your questions about what training UCSC expects
> for its incoming bioinformatics students.
>
> Getting into UCSC (one of the premier programs in bioinformatics,
> though I say it as shouldn't) is quite difficult---we only accepted
> about 20 out of 60 applicants this year, and we expect the number of
> applicants to soar once we actually have an approved grad program.
>
> Getting a grad degree in molecular biology is great, but it won't be
> enough to get you into our bioinformatics program.  We want to see a
> substantial programming background and some statistics, as well as a
> fair amount of molecular biology.  We've found it takes too long to
> teach someone how to program---that is a skill that need to be
> obtained BEFORE entering a grad program in bioinformatics.

Thanks for the info.   Luckily, I already know how to program (it's a
serious hobby), but I plan on taking some of the standard comp sci courses,
at any rate.  As far as mathematics is concerned, I was planning on taking
vector calculus, discrete mathematical structures, linear algebra and
probability while doing undergraduate work in Molec bio.  Maybe I can take
an extra course or two in mathematics if I go for the masters...

Cheers,
Ken