Bioinformatics degree questions.

James A. Crippen james at unlambda.com
Fri Mar 29 21:15:14 EST 2002

karplus at bray.cse.ucsc.edu (Kevin Karplus) writes:

> Getting a grad degree in molecular biology is great, but it won't be
> enough to get you into our bioinformatics program.  We want to see a
> substantial programming background and some statistics, as well as a
> fair amount of molecular biology.  We've found it takes too long to
> teach someone how to program---that is a skill that need to be
> obtained BEFORE entering a grad program in bioinformatics.

In your opinion, would it be easier to get into a bioinformatics
program from a CS background or from a MolBio background, given that
the interested candidate has no prior experience in bioinformatics per
se?

'james

--
James A. Crippen <james at unlambda.com> ,-./-.  Anchorage, Alaska,
Lambda Unlimited: Recursion 'R' Us   |  |/  | USA, 61.20939N, -149.767W