Bioinformatics degree questions.

deodiaus deodiaus at my-deja.com
Fri Mar 29 21:16:19 EST 2002

I was thinking of going back to school, and getting a Ph. D. in
Bioinformatics and trying to land a job in industry.
However, I am 40, and maybe a bit too old for this approach (even
going back to do a M. Sc. program in BioInfomatics).
I do have a M. Sc. in Applied Math, and have been programming for 15
years (http://deodiaus.tripod.com).  Instead, I was giving thought to
maybe going back to do a Ph. D. in Math and specializing in a research
topic in Bioinformatics.  Unfortunately, getting through the Math
prelims and other exams is a major obstacle.  The other problem is
that many math Ph. D. programs are quite theoretical, and not always
pragmatic.  I love the theory, however, a lot of employeers will
probably look at me and think this guy will just not work out, he is
too theoretical, and not able to solve the problems at hand in the
time frame that we are looking at (2 years).
On the other hand, I have to say that "good" programming is an art,
and takes years to accomplish in order to master correctly.  I was
giving thought to looking (and rearchitecting) a program like (JHU's)
George Rose's program LINUS, which attempts to model protein folding.
Maybe, the LINUS needs a good rewrite by a seasoned programmer.
Currently, I am suffering from bad design decisions, and think a
rearchitecture will solve lots of problems, so maybe this might be an
approach to Linus.  All the physics can be right (but I don't think
they are), but bugs may exist in code which are eternally hidden in
the woodwork.