Gating functions in protein networks

Dan dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk
Mon Aug 4 09:16:50 EST 2003

> Sort of. The "LAC operon" (lactose operon) in E. coli is _almost_ an
> example of this, since the RNA polymerase won't transcribe the genes
> downstream of the LAC repressor site unless the CAP site is occupied
> and the LAC repressor site is NOT occupied. So the "logic" for the LAC
> operon is (CAP AND (NOT LAC)):
> <http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/L/LacOperon.html>.
>

>>Do you mean one gene with two separate negative control mechanisms?
>

> Correct.

Cool, I guess there are many examples of this when one layer
of regulation is combined with others, like in systems which
respond to neural, hormonal and chemical factors.

Now what is that kinase called - I used to know the exact
regulatory circit - it is activated by glucagon, so maby
it is a phosphatase - adrenalin chops it in half....

I forget

Thanks,
Dan.

DIY GENOME