Introductory Bioinformatics Books for Computer Scientists

Antony Quinn antonyquinn at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 26 12:10:43 EST 2003

David,

I have a similar background to you - strong computer science, and until last
year, little biology knowledge (I'm currently studying biology at
intermediate level).

I'm reading "Genomic Perl" by Rex A. Dwyer - it's just what you're looking
for. It's not an easy read, mainly because it jumps straight into molecular
biology, mathematics and Perl with none of the over-inflated guff we usually
find in computer science text books. If you don't already know Perl it would
be a good idea to learn before reading the book: as you'd expect from a Perl
programmer, the author codes in an esoteric style, which can be hard going
if you're used to Java or C.
http://titles.cambridge.org/catalogue.asp?isbn=052180177X

Another book I have lined up to read is "Introduction to Bioinformatics" by
Arthur M. Lesk. I've only skim read this one, and it looks good:
http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-925196-7

I've also read "Introduction to Bioinformatics" by Teresa K. Attwood and
David J. Parry-Smith. This is aimed at biologists so it's not what you're
looking for. It does, however, offer a useful overview of the field and
covers many of the publically-available tools such as BLAST.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0582327881/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-8500254-3522046

For more general advice:
http://bio.oreilly.com/
http://bioinformatics.org/faq/#books

Free course in bioinformatics - I've recently downloaded this (over 500MB!)
and have taken a quick look. It seems very comprehensive. I plan to start
using it later this summer:
http://s-star.org/

Good luck,

Antony