Problem in compiling GlimmerM on Linux

JW XXXjulianw at eml.ccXXX
Thu May 29 11:33:09 EST 2003

> Is a return-value of '1' correct?  My understanding is that it is a general
> UN*X convention that non-zero exit codes denoted an 'ERROR' condition,
> which would preclude this code from being called by any driver-script
> that tests the exit-code for sucess...

I believe this depends on the function in question.  Indeed, UN*X
conventions (especially for shell scripts) do usually dictate a 0 value
upon successful completion, but many C functions (eg. fopen()) return
NULL upon an error and set errno.  I suppose for a main function, a
return value of 0 would be more usual as it is most likely to be tested
in a 'driver-script' which should follow the conventions.  But I think
this debate is derivative to the original question; the point is, SOME
value should be returned.

Julian