resources for a newcomter to bioinformatics/protein structure

Rajarshi Guha rajarshi at presidency.com
Thu Jul 1 10:37:30 EST 2004

Hi,
  I'm a grad student whose been working mainly in 2D QSAR (with small
molecules) along with some cheminformatics and statistics. I'm interested
in learning a little more about bioinformatics and protein structure. Some
of the areas I'm interested in include information theory aspects of dna
and proteins, structure predictions etc.

Right now I have a pretty vague idea of different things and I was
wondering what books I could use to get a start in the field. I'd
appreciate it if anybody could point out a few books - both beginner and
intermediate in the fields of computational biology/bioinformatics and
protein structure. I've seens a few books on bioinformatics at B&N but
they seem to be more oof a guide to software and how to write simple code.
I'm comfartable with code and databases and I'm more interested in the
theory.

In addition are there any forums or places on the net that describe some
current areas of study in these fields? I realize i could flip through
journals, but without having much of a background I'm afraid I might not
be really able to appreciate them.

Thanks for any pointers

Rajarshi Guha  <rajarshi at presidency.com> <http://jijo.cjb.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 0CCA 8EE2 2EEB 25E2 AB04  06F7 1BB9 E634 9B87 56EE