Want to move into computation biology. Advice??

st_ev_fe at hotmail.com st_ev_fe at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 11 00:10:46 EST 2005

Hi people,

I am an experienced software developer, who wants to move into
computational biology.

I have no biology background, and a huge software development
background.

One example: I've written software which is able to do fuzzy DNA
matching across a whole array of DNA strings, and do this in a very
efficient time. (Usually about one millisecond even when doing a
levenshtein operation across hundreds of thousands of DNA strings.)
That is pretty fast, considering that the order of complexity is N^3. I
acheived this by using an algorithm that I invented, which organises
the DNA into trees.

The thing is, the DNA was actually just randomly generated, as I don't
have any idea of a real biology usage for such an algorithm. One real
world example for this algorithm outside of biology though, would be
for "spell checking". (There are more accurate spell checkers than
mine, mind you.)

Any advice where I should start? I would like to find a nice online
community which can give me ideas and tell me needs, so that I can
provide high performance solutions for them.