2 Draft papers: Swarm Search, Social Cognitive Maps and Self-Regulated Pop. Size

Vitorino RAMOS vitorino.ramos at alfa.ist.utl.pt
Thu Mar 3 16:59:28 EST 2005

Dear Colleagues:
Two of my recent works can now be found online. hope u could enjoy
them.
best regards, vitorino ramos

Social Cognitive Maps, Swarm Collective Perception and Distributed
Search on Dynamic Landscapes, CVRM-IST 127E-2005 technical report,
final draft submitted to Brains, Minds & Media, Journal of New Media in
Neural and Cognitive Science, NRW, Germany, 2005.
link: http://alfa.ist.utl.pt/~cvrm/staff/vramos/ref_58.html
PDF direct link:
http://alfa.ist.utl.pt/~cvrm/staff/vramos/Vramos-BMM.pdf

ABSTRACT: Swarm Intelligence (SI) is the property of a system whereby
the collective behaviors of (unsophisticated) entities interacting
locally with their environment cause coherent functional global
patterns to emerge. SI provides a basis with which it is possible to
explore collective (or distributed) problem solving without centralized
control or the provision of a global model. To tackle the formation of
a coherent social collective intelligence from individual behaviors, we
discuss several concepts related to self-organization, stigmergy and
social foraging in animals. Then, in a more abstract level we suggest
and stress the role played not only by the environmental media as a
driving force for societal learning, as well as by positive and
negative feedbacks produced by the many interactions among agents.
Finally, presenting a simple model based on the above features, we will
address the collective adaptation of a social community to a cultural
(environmental, contextual) or media informational dynamical landscape,
represented here - for the purpose of different experiments - by
several three-dimensional mathematical functions that suddenly change
over time. Results indicate that the collective intelligence is able to
cope and quickly adapt to unforeseen situations even when over the same
cooperative foraging period, the community is requested to deal with
two different and contradictory purposes.

KEYWORDS: Swarm Intelligence and Perception, Social Cognitive Maps,
Social Foraging, Self-Organization, Distributed Search and
Optimization.

Varying the Population Size of Artificial Foraging Swarms on Time
Varying Landscapes, final draft submitted to ICCANN -05, International
Conf. on Artificial Neural Networks, Springer-Verlag, LNCS series,
Warsaw, Poland, Sep. 11-15, 2005.

link: http://alfa.ist.utl.pt/~cvrm/staff/vramos/ref_59.html
PDF direct link:
http://alfa.ist.utl.pt/~cvrm/staff/vramos/Vramos-ICANN05.pdf

ABSTRACT: Swarm Intelligence (SI) is the property of a system whereby
the collective behaviors of (unsophisticated) entities interacting
locally with their environment cause coherent functional global
patterns to emerge. SI provides a basis with wich it is possible to
explore collective (or distributed) problem solving without centralized
control or the provision of a global model. In this paper we present a
Swarm Search Algorithm with varying population of agents. The swarm is
based on a previous model with fixed population which proved its
effectiveness on several computation problems. We will show that the
variation of the population size provides the swarm with mechanisms
that improves its self-adaptability and causes the emergence of a more
robust self-organized behavior, resulting in a higher efficiency on
searching peaks and valleys over dynamic search landscapes represented
here - for the purpose of different experiments - by several
three-dimensional mathematical functions that suddenly change over
time. We will also show that the present swarm, for each function,
self-adapts towards an optimal population size, thus self-regulating.

KEYWORDS: Swarm Intelligence and Perception, Dynamic Population Sizes,
Self-Regulation, Social Cognitive Maps, Social Foraging,
Self-Organization and Evolution, Distributed Search and Optimization.