[Computational-biology] ANN: BIOLAP

Corwin Joy cjoy at houston.rr.com
Sun Oct 16 03:53:06 EST 2005

I have just released a new project to sourceforge focused on OLAP tools =
for biology data.

http://biolap.sourceforge.net/

What is BIOLAP?

OLAP is a powerful tool that is widely used by the business community to =
analyze=20
large financial data sets. Despite the big data sets found in modern =
biology, OLAP=20
has not been widely adopted by the biology community. We want to change =
that. BIOLAP=20
is open source OLAP for biology data. We take the open source tools =
provided by the=20
JPivot project, and extend them to handle biology data types. In our =
first release,=20
we focus on extensions to analyze large genomic sequence databases.=20
As an application we apply these tools to browse and analyze the =
iProClass
database of over 2m protein sequences using a GO functional hierarchy =
and taxonomy
annotations.

Corwin Joy
Human Genome Sequencing Center