[Computational-biology] Re: Mutational protein libraries

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 11 08:22:23 EST 2006

Richard Colman wrote:

> I was wondering whether any researchers would like to comment on what types
> of programs and data formats are popular. In paticular, I am considering an
> function to directly import Excel spreadsheet files (ala GoCore, etc.).

Although some binary formats like Excel are widely used, open ASCII
based formats (FASTA, PIR, PDB...) are safer for the future. They can be
read even if the program that once generated them is no longer
available, and they are not subject to sudden changes because of the
marketing interests of a particular company. Older hands like myself can
still remember some market leaders who quite suddenly vanished - ever
heard of WordStar or dBase?