[Computational-biology] Re: Circular Data

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 18 02:19:29 EST 2006

Mahdi Faravani wrote:

>   Do you have any experience using descriptive and inferential
> statistics with data measured on a circular scale?
>   I have already measured the length of branch and angle to find the
> direction of branches in a tree.

I am not sure I understand what you need. Circular data (I found the
description in Batschelet particularly clear) and branching data (see
for example Sneath/Sokal: Numerical Taxonomy, San Francisco (Freeman)
1973 or Salemi/Vandamme: The Phylogenetics Handbook, Cambridge
(Cambridge University Press) 2003) are quite distinct things.

If you are interested in circular statistics I wrote a Pascal package
that can handle such data along the lines of Batschelets book. email me
if you need it.

If you just need sample data for circular analysis you can go to your
local maternity ward and ask them for birth frequencies as function of
the time of day or day of year.